The unofficial kickoff of summer is here - Memorial Day Weekend! Are you excited? I am hoping that the warm weather is here to stay. But we also know that summer brings lots of parties, unplanned and last minute events and oftentimes, triggers for many people - be it food or alcohol.
However, when you have goals, you want to stay on track while still enjoying the summertime fun! Summer is a social time but we can still eat healthy without sacrificing flavor.
Memorial Day isn’t all BBQs and parties though. It’s also a time to reflect and be grateful to the men and women who have given their lives for their country.
Here are 6 easy, healthy and tasty recipes to help you stay on track this Memorial Day!
Watermelon Fruit Pizza
Recipe modified from: EatingWell
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt OR coconut milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup scoop CLEAN Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large round slices watermelon (about 1 inch thick), cut from the center of the melon
- 2/3 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup halved blackberries
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh mint leaves
- Combine yogurt, protein powder, honey and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Spread 1/4 cup yogurt mixture over each slice of watermelon. Cut each slice into 8 wedges. Top with strawberries, blackberries and mint.
Creamy Avocado & White Bean Wrap
Recipe Credit: EatingWell
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 4 Gluten Free tortillas, Mission is great!
- Whisk vinegar, oil, chipotle chile and salt in a medium bowl. Add cabbage, carrot and cilantro; toss to combine.
- Mash beans and avocado in another medium bowl with a potato masher or fork. Stir in onion.
- To assemble the wraps, spread about 1/2 cup of the bean-avocado mixture onto a wrap (or tortilla) and top with about 2/3 cup of the cabbage-carrot slaw. Roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut the wraps in half to serve, if desired.
Mexican Corn Salad With Honey Lime Shrimp
Recipe Credit: Food Faith Fitness
- 2 cups Corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 6 ounces Medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Taco seasoning (I use this recipe)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Roma Tomato, diced (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup Avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Green onion, sliced
For The Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon Fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Green Jalapeno Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Place a grill basket on an outdoor grill and heat on medium heat. Place the corn in the grill basket and cook until lightly charred, stirring occasionally.
- Dry off the shrimp and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the olive oil and then add the taco seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper, tossing until evenly coated.
- Transfer the cooked corn to a large bowl. Lightly grease the grill and then place the shrimp on. Cook until the shrimp are pink and opaque, only about 1 minute per side.
- Cut the cooked shrimp in half and add to the corn. Add the tomato, avocado, cilantro and green onion. Mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey and Tabasco. While whisking constantly, stream in the olive oil until well mixed and the dressing thickens. Pour over the salad and toss to mix evenly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and then cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors develop.
Black Bean and Corn Salad
Recipe Credit: Eating Bird Food
- 1 bag 16 oz sweet frozen corn kernels, defrosted*
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Toss together veggies and beans: Combine corn, black beans, bell pepper and red onion in a large bowl.
Cucumber & Avocado Salad
Recipe Credit: Eating Well
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced crosswise and separated into rings
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted and sliced crosswise
- Toss shallot rings with lime juice in a large bowl; let stand until softened, about 10 minutes. Whisk in oil, mint, basil and salt. Add cucumber; toss to coat. Let the cucumber marinate in the dressing, tossing occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cucumber to a platter; top with avocado. Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Serve immediately.
Red White & Blue Fruit Skewers with Protein Cheesecake Yogurt Dip - It’s not a party without dessert!
Recipe modified from SkinnyTaste
For the skewers:
- 14 oz angel foods cake, cut about 1-inch cubes
- 72-84 medium strawberries, about 3.5 lbs stems removed
- 1 pint blueberries
- 24 to 28 skewers
For the protein yogurt dip:
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt vanilla or plain, sweetened
- 1 tablespoon Sugar-Free Pudding Mix [you're choice of flavor, recommend the cheesecake flavor]
- 1 scoop CLEAN Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 tablespoon Monk Fruit or Stevia In The Raw, if you're using plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons So Delicious Coconut Cool Whip or TruWhip, optional
- Mix the protein yogurt dip in a bowl.
- Thread 3 strawberries and 2 cubes of cake onto each skewer, alternating between strawberries and cake.
- Finish each skewer with 3 blueberries.
- Place finished skewers on a platter and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Serve with the protein yogurt dip on the side for dipping.
Recipe Notes: You can easily tweak the consistency by either adding pudding mix, dry ingredients or reducing the Greek yogurt. For example, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt instead of 1/2 cup will produce a thicker protein fluff and vice versa. If you'd like a creamier protein fluff, reduce the protein powder or add more Greek yogurt.
We hope everyone has a wonderful weekend with friends and family around your table, grill, pool, or front porch. And, when you head to the grocery store, pick up the ingredients for a few of these recipes. You won’t regret it!!